28 February 2013

Joigin (Goodbye) Hong Kong

The journey to Hong Kong took months in preparation. I listed down all the places I wanted to go to and details on how to get there. Most of the places in the list were places that had sentimental values when I grew up here. The last place on the list played a significant role in shaping who I am now and how I think. Quarry Bay School brings back tons of memories. I only managed to take a walk outside the school compounds but being that close was good enough for me. It was wonderful to be back. I wasn't a popular kid nor the most outstanding but I was the ONLY Malaysian in the school at one point. I can't remember all the names of my classmates but some of them are Gary Ng, Kotaro, Janice, Katie Slater, Henry and Omar Malik. Some of the teachers I remember were Mrs. Taylor, Mr. Almond, Mr. Mason and Mrs. Morris. We didn't have Facebook or Friendster then (does anyone still remember Friendster?), so I totally lost contact with them.




Enough with the emotional stuff. Before catching the flight to KL, we managed to catch up with a former schoolmate (ex Bainun) Dr Zuhailee Ramly over some Dim Sums at The Islamic Centre Canteen. Such a great way to end a trip.


Our flight was delayed by almost 2 hours. Air Asia did send a text informing of the delay but by the time I received I was already in KL! I would suggest anyone staying in Hong Kong Island and is short of time to take the Hong Kong Airport Express from Island Station. It cost a hefty HKD 100 but it is very fast and convenient. Just bring along your stuff and sit on the comfortable seats and you'll get there in 30 minutes.

Hong Kong Airport is massive. Do arrive early for check in (especially if you travel with Air Asia). It is just one big maze. There is a train service to shuttle you to the respective gates but the distance between the station and the gate can still be exhausting. 

That's all folks. It took 4 months to complete writing about this trip. My apologies. There was a lot going on during this period. I hope by sharing this experience, it can help others plan their ideal Hong Kong Trip. Our next big trip will be to Kota Kinabalu in May....with Alyssa!


No comments: