13 July 2009

The Next Chapter

I hugged and kissed my wife for the last time at 12.40 p.m. at the departure hall entrance of Kuala Terengganu International Airport. Its going to be weeks or months before I get to see her again. It was one of the saddest moment in our 1 month 3 weeks marriage. I wiped her tears away even though I was holding back mine. I have to be strong for her. Its hard for us to be apart. Even as students, we were always in the same class. I would watch out for her and occasionally flirted with my future wife. But life is never a straight road.

After 5 years of 'good lucks' in medical school, I ran out of it on the final professional exam. The first failure in 5 years (not including minitest fails)...at the end of 5 years. I don't blame anyone for it and I'm done thinking of the 'what if's'. Several lecturers say it was just blind luck...and I accept it. Not as luck but as fate. I was fated to get a high fever on exam day and go blank. As fate goes, I have to extend another 6 months in medical school. I have another 5 months to go now. The next posting being surgery.

Meanwhile, my wife just completed her induction course at Kuala Terengganu. I stayed with her thorugh the weekend, even attending the closing ceremony with her. Beginning 13th July 2009, she will be posted at Taiping Hospital as a houseman. She has to go through it alone as she is the only IIUM graduate posted there. And thanks to the 'little Napoleans' at MOH she has to fly to Kajang, pack her stuff and set off ot Ipoh in half a day (Sunday). Then report for duty at Jabatan Kesihatan Negeri and make a trip to Hospital Taiping on Monday. Unfortunately I am not able to take her there to report for duty. Fortunately though I have wonderful parents to help her go through it.

I have no idea how life will be like in the next 5 months. I initially planned to be a weekend husband and be with her on weekends. But 7 hours drive from Kuantan to Taiping would be too taxing. It'll burn a whole in my pocket and the long journey would use up my study time. I can only pray that all will be well. Allah knows what's best for everyone. baby, if you are reading this...I miss you so much T_T

No comments: